- Mid-size prawn: 14-15 pieces
- Chilli Powder : 1/6 of a teaspoon (optional)
- Minced Chills: 1-2 (or more if feeling fiery)
- Salt: to taste
- Pepper: half teaspoon or the more the merrier
- Oregano / Italian Herd Mixed (optional)
- Garlic: 5-6 mid-size cloves
- Basil : 5-6 leaves chopped
- Olive Oil: half teaspoon
- Butter: one tablespoon
- Fresh Full Fat Cream / Amul Cream (Keto version) or Maida(All Purpose Flour) and Milk (Non-keto version)
- Cheese: Parmesan(grated)/Amul Cheese Cube(grated)/Cheese Slice : 10-12gm(optional).
- MARINATION – Marinade the prawn with salt, pepper, chilli powder, oregano. Set it aside for 20-30mins.
- ON THE PAN – On medium flame heat in the olive oil and butter. After like 45secs add the minced garlic and chills. Cook till the garlic starts to brown. Please remember we don’t want to burn the garlic so med-high to low flame.
- ON THE PAN : Once garlic starts to brown add the marinaded prawns and fry (with lid on) on one side for 2mins , flip it and do the same for 3mins. Flip it again and keep on flipping and cooking for another 2 mins or so , or till they start to get the golden-reddish fried colour. Basically we want almost cooked prawns at this point. You can always taste the prawn and see if it’s almost cooked.
- ON THE PAN(Keto Version): Add water about 1/6 of a cup, basically enough to not let the prawn burn and enough to let the cream emulsify. Cook for another two minutes and add you cream. Cream doesn’t burn but it’s better to keep the heat med-low to low. Add the basil (optional), and cheese. Cover cook for another minute or till the cheese melts. Check for salt and pepper. If you feel there is too much liquid, open the lid and on medium flame cook for a couple of minutes, keep stirring. Take it out of the pan and enjoy.
- ON THE PAN(Non- Keto Version): Remove the prawns from the pan. You will need a fresh pan for this. On low flame, add another half teaspoon of butter and after 30 secs add one teaspoon of maida. Keep stirring the maida. After two minutes of stirring and milk (100-150ml). Keep stirring. Let it cook for about two minutes. Then add the prawn, basil(option) , cheese (optional) . Cook for another 3 2 minutes. Check for salt and pepper. If you feel there is too much liquid, open the lid and on medium flame cook for a couple of minutes, keep stirring. Take it out of the pan and enjoy.
CLEANING THE PRAWN- Being by asking your fish vendor to remove the head and tail. Remove the black vein/thread like thing from the front of the prawn. Cut it at the back side halfway through and do the same.Now the step of slicing the back side is optional but recommended, else it may taste slightly bitter.
You can use just olive oil or just butter as well for the cooking. Remember that butter burns easily so add some oil or cook on low flame.
In the Non-keto version you can add in some boiled pasta when you are adding the prawns to make a meal out of it.
I missed the basil while cooking, it turns out just fine without it.
Disclaimer : Here the pictures are from the keto version.
Do let me know how it turns out.